Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The GOP Debate on CNN

Yesterday, I suggested that the analysis on CNN following last night's GOP debate would be done by know-nothing blow hards. Today, I can report that my prediction came true. Sadly, I do not take much credit for my prognostication since anyone who ever watched what is described as "political analysis" on CNN quickly understands that it is actually part of the DNC spin machine. Nevertheless, I did have a few favorite moments that should be reported.

I particularly liked the "fact checking" analysis offered with regard to Michelle Bachmann's assertion that Obamacare had taken half a trillion dollars out of Medicare and harmed that program as a result. CNN had a special truthmeter that they used together with a smirking reporter who seemed like he just could not wait to point out the Bachmann was wrong. Ultimately, the reported stated that the half a trillion dollars came from reducing waste and fraud, so there was no reduction in benefits. Accordingly, CNN pronounced Bachmann's claim misleading. Of course, anyone who thought for a moment about what Bachmann had said would realize that she was absolutely accurate. Medicare has specific payroll taxes that fund the program. When Obamacare takes half a trillion dollars of those tax revenues away from Medicare, it makes Medicare much weaker as a program. This is true whether or not there is the elimination of waste or fraud. Think of it this way: if the waste and fraud were eliminated, Medicare would have had an additional half trillion dollars to fund the program, but Obamacare took it away.

I also thought that having Debbie Wasserman Schultz on the program to discuss the debate was ridiculous. I doubt much more needs be said about that.

No comments: