Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

One more take on SOTU

The State of the Unioin speech will be delivered by the president tonight to a joint session of Congress and an audience watching on all the major tv networks. For me, the best response to this event is "So what?" In my lifetime, I have probably watched forty of these extravaganzas and missed many others. I have searched my memory for one that I thought was pparticularly meaningful, but I have come up dry. We will undoubtedly hear about the need for economic growth, world peace, better education and improved health standards. In fact, much of the SOTU seems to come straight from those question and answer sessions held with the finalists of the Mis America pageant (although most of those contestants are better looking than Obama). Nevertheless, there will be an enormous audience waitinig for something important to be said. They will wait and wait and in the end they will be sorely disappointed.

This year, the probelm is even worse since we have been forewarned that the president will be advocating for things that he really does not care about (like cutting spending -- only to substitute "investing" for "spending").

If anyone watches SOTU and sees something that is newsworthy, please leave a comment here to discuss the item. My guess is that there will be no comments.

No comments: