Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Stocks of 2010 -- an oversight

Somehow, I left out two stocks in my review of the 2010 results.

Pier 1 (PIR), the stock of the month for December was recommended at $9.92. It closed a month later at $10.50. this is an annualized increase of 70%. Of course, since it is only a one month period, the annualized increase rate is not that meaningful. Suffice to say that the stock has been doing well. I would keep this one in the portfolio for now. Christmas sales should be out in the coming week. they may have been hurt due to the snow in much of their selling area, but if PIR dips, it is a buying opportunity. Over the next year, PIR will be moving into internet sales and the big increase that will bring.

MGM Resorts International (MGM) was recommended two weeks ago 12.72. It closed the year at 14.85, and increase of 17% in two weeks. I also recommended option trades with this one. The move here has been so large, that I would now recommend taking profits on half your position.

I also wrote about place for higher yields and about gold and silver trading, but those were in the last few days of the year, so there is no point in evaluating how well they have done.

Sorry for the omission.

UPDATE! -- I got an e-mail from a reader who asked why I am not discussing pSivida (symbol PSDV) in my results. The truth is that I should discuss it, but since it is still an open trade, I did not. On October 6, I recommended a trade of stock, calls and puts. As of now, it is still on track for the total return of the trade to be at the rate of 350%. The stock just needs to stay above $5.00 at the January option expiration for that to be the case. last week pSivida got slammed when their drup Illuvien was not approved by the FDA; instead, the FDA asked for more information. Even after the resulting decline, however, the trade i recommended is right on course to pay its full return. I just felt that until we get to january 22d, it is hard to know for sure just what the return will be.

No comments: