Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

More resignations

So far this week has seen two resignations from Congress: Democrat Jane Harman of California left to run a think tank and Republican Chris Lee of New York left when his extramarital activities centered around Craig's List were uncovered. It's funny. Whenever I think that Congress cannot embarrass itself further, the members prove me wrong. Where do we find these people?


UPDATE: I was asked by "Jim" in a comment how I can equate Jane Harman leaving with Chris Lee. Let me be clear. I do not consider running a think tank the equivalent of trying to pick up women via Craig's List. My point, however, is this: The current Congress, Jane harman included, was sworn in four weeks ago for a two year term. In my opinion, it is pretty embarrassing for her to run for a two year term and leave after a month for something else. What was the level of her commitment to her constituents? Non-existent? As far as Lee is concerned, it also strikes me as interesting that Charlie Rangel evades taxes, lies in sworn statements, uses his position to get money for monuments to himself and gets censured while Lee resigns immediately. Only in Washington does that make sense.

2 comments:

jim said...

Not sure how you link Jane Harman leaving to run a think tank on the same level as a Congressman listing
on craigslist an advertisement having (or tryingto have)an extramarital affair as being members who are an embarrassment. Apples and oranges comparison.

jim said...

Fair enough. Nothing in Congress makes much sense. You can be a crook (or alleged) but he apparently decided to leave on his own. Look at Senator Vitter of Louisiana. His name was in a madam's book and he is still in Congress! And got reelected. Arrogance and stupidity crosses party lines. I really like your site even though politically I am pretty sure we would not agree most of the time but your financial analysis is super. And I was raised in Stamford so..............