Search This Blog

Monday, March 14, 2011

GasFrac -- target update

After posting my 18 month target price of $40 for the stock, I received a number of e-mails asking me to explain how I came up witht that figure. I will try to outline my method in this post.

Let's begin with revenue. The GasFrac revenue is driven almost entirely by the number of sets of equipment that are being used by the company. For the foreseeable future, that number is limited not by available business but rather by the number of sets that the company owns. 2010 ended with three sets in the field and the projection is that 2011 will end with ten sets in the field. Using the projected levels of sets available to the company each month during 2011, there should be about 77 set months available to generate revenue.

Then there is the issue of the efficiency of Gasfrac in the use of these sets. According to management, in 2010, efficiency which is the number of days that the sets are available for revenue generation out of total days ran about 30%. Through the purchase of more auxilliary equipment, that efficiency is expected to rise to 45-50% in 2011. I model the efficiency for the year at 42%.

In 2012, my model assumes that the company begins the year with 10 sets and then increases that number by only 20% during the year. This increase of two sets is much lower than the company's historical approach would indicate, but it is a conservative number that can be achieved without the need for new financing sources. I also use the efficiency rate of 48% for the year.

On the basis of these figures, the revenue for 2012 should be just under twice that achieved in 2011. Of course, that allows nothing for revenue generated from the propane recovery system should that come on line as scheduled. It also understates the likely growth in the number of sets during 2012 as described above.

At the moment, the consensus earnings estimate for 2011 is 58 cents per share. If revenue doubles, earnings should more than double reaching $1.35 for the year. Using a conservative multiple of 30, this brings one to a price of $40.50 which gives the price target of 40.

This is actually a conservative target in my opinion. If any of the anti-hydraulic fracking hysteria gains a real foothold, the price for GasFrac's services could soar. Even a ten percent price rise would mean substantial additional revenue that would all go directly to the bottom line after taxes are paid. If the company grows at a faster pace as it has in the past, the target should be exceeded. On the other hand, if someone else finds a method that gets around the GasFrac patent applications or if those applications are unexpectedly denied, there may suddenly be competitors that do not exist currently. On balance, though, the target ought be achieved.

8 comments:

Don Giles said...

I have just caught up with your blog while fishing for information on Gasfrac. You are absolutely on target with your forecast, if not a little conservative. I guess I agree because I had come up with the same numbers! It is great to have a situation where the revenue projection is so clearly linked to the physical capacity of men and equipment. I live in Texas about two hours west of Tyler, where the Gasfrac U.S. operation is located. I currently have a small position which I intend to increase.

Don Giles said...

I would be interested in your thoughts on the insider selling at Gasfrac. Through SEDI.CA I checked the insider selling in 2011. It is pretty steady. For instance, the president, Dwight Loree has sold 650,000+ shares in 2011. He has maintained approximately 1,500,000 shares by continuing to exercise his warrants. Why not--their cost to him is $1.00 per share. I expect the major players such as him to be highly rewarded for creating this company. I just don't know whether this level of insider selling is a concern at this time or whether it is a depressant to the current share price.

Jeff said...

I did not go through the history to look at the stock ownership ownership history of the insiders. I do know, however, that when the company first was formed, he got 1.5 million shares in exchange for donating his IP rights to the company. Since then, he has received a big chunk of annual compensation in stock options/warrants. I am not surprised that he is exercising these and then selling the stock. If you told me that he sold his entire position, I would be concerned, but so long as he keeps the core position of 1.5 million shares, I would not be concerned.

Don Giles said...

Thanks for your response. I agree. I am really excited about the prospects of this company.

Don Giles said...

I haven't found the method for emailing you other than by leaving a comment on the last post regarding GasFrac. So here goes--The October 2010 issue of the Oklahoma Independent Petroleum Association (OIPA) stated that the horsepower used for fracking in the U.S. and Canada is:

2003---2 Million HP
2010--10 Million HP
2012--12 Million HP
Projected

GasFrac is projecting about 150,000 HP by the end of 2011, only about 1.25% of the total fracking industry!
What this means to me is that they do not have to dominate the industry. They can be a significant niche player, cherry picking the applications which are a great fit for their technology, and still become a billion $ company with terrific margins. I think this is important because versions of the current hydraulic fracturing with water will continue to predominate, overcoming all environmental concerns, perhaps with improved technology or perhaps just convincing arguments.

deez said...

Pretty accurate under $5 bucks today

Jeff said...

Deez:

You are a year late!

Unknown said...

Life is full of many challenges. Challenges that will make you or break you depending on how you handle it. Visit my site for more updates. God Bless to your site.

n8fan.net

www.n8fan.net