Search This Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2011

That didn't take long!

The news from Libya is that Gaddafi's forces are attacking the rebel capital of Benghazi. Despite pictures and video in the media of the attacks, Colonel Gaddafi has announced that the Libyan forces have stopped fighting as part of the cease fire. Meanwhile, the no fly zone authorized by the UN has apparently been misunderstood by the counries who said they weould enforce it. When the UN said "no fly", it meant no Libyan plane can fly in the area, not that no British, French or American plane could fly in the area.

The US did nothing for nearly a month because obama wanted to have the UN out front on this. What's the excuse now? don't they have phones in Brazil?

UPDATE: I was asked in a comment what I would have the USA do now. If I were president, I would keep the USA from looking like a laughing stock a la Obama. If I made an announcement that Gaddafi has to go, I would follow it up. Alternatively, if I had no intent to put troops into Libya, I would keep my mouth shut. The one thing that you cannot do successfully is a reverse Teddy Roosevelt, "speak loudly but throw away the stick."

1 comment:

jim said...

And you would have had the U.S. doing what? We should have sent ground troops in just like George Bush did in Iraq? See how well that has worked out. The U.S. is not the guardian of the world. Let the Arab League step up and the Brits and Frogs. While the situation there is horrendous, I think the Administration has played this as well as you can having been saddled with two wars from the 8 years of George Bush. And I am not happy with Obama for allowing Afghanistan to drag on with loss of life, limb of our soldiers and more money down the drain. Or going into the coffers of the corrupt Government there.