Search This Blog

Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Mainstream Media Celebrates

The annual Washington Correspondents Dinner was last night.  I just finished watching a ten minute video of the remarks of so called comedian Joel McHale who was supposed to be the big performance of the evening.  I do not want to say that McHale's jokes fell flat, but I have been to funnier funerals.  There was very little humor.  It was just ten minutes of McHale being nasty.  Here's an example:  McHale said that the show "House of Cards" was so surprising that Nancy Pelosi's face almost moved when she watched it.  He followed that by looking over at some table where Pelosi was supposed to be and saying, "Did you like that Nancy?  Oh, I couldn't tell."

Some people may thing that this is funny stuff, but I don't. 

How about this one.  According to McHale, president Obama is in good health.  Each year the White House doctors check the president's colon for polyps.  He then added that they also check George Clooney's head.  Again, this is not funny.

Here's one more.  Chris Christie was sitting there and McHale looked at his table and said "I can do bridge jokes or fat jokes.  Which would you prefer?  A little of both?  I guess I should have known since you like combo plates."  Not funny.

In all of this palaver, McHale was just mean.  It tells you something about the media itself when this is the sort of stuff that they feature.




 

No comments: