Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

The Nut Job strikes back

Representative Etheridge of North Carolina is out with a statement in response to the video of his attack on the student who asked him a question on the street. The response is as follows:

“I have seen the video posted on several blogs. I deeply and profoundly regret my reaction and I apologize to all involved. Throughout my many years of service to the people of North Carolina, I have always tried to treat people from all viewpoints with respect. No matter how intrusive and partisan our politics can become, this does not justify a poor response. I have and I will always work to promote a civil public discourse.”

The response is a nice one, but it does not excuse the attack. How can we have people in government who go on the attack literally when they are asked a question. The student did not say anything threatening or critical. the student just asked "Do you support President Obama's entire agenda?" This is a lot like the question asked of Helen Thomas: "Any thoughts on Israel?"

No sane person cold think that either question was an attack or an affront. These were citizens asking for someone's views in a normal conversational manner. Thomas ranted and raved but without malice towards the questioner. Etheridge, however, physically attacked the student who asked the question and would not let him go even when asked to do so.

Etheridge needs to resign from Congress now. He needs help. I would suggest anger management. Maybe jack Nicholson is available.

No comments: