Search This Blog

Monday, July 9, 2018

The Kavanaugh Nomination -- the Preplanned Outrage

The reaction to the nomination by the President of judge Brett Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court reminds me of something that happened many years ago in a court hearing in which I was involved.  I was handling a divorce case for the first (and last) time.  I was at a settlement conference with the opposing attorney and a judge to see if the divorce proceeding could be resolved without a trial.  The subject of alimony for the wife (my client) was raised.  I asked for a particular figure and the adversary responded.  This lawyer was reputed to be the best divorce lawyer in his county.  He began his response by saying the following:

"Judge, there's no way my client could possibly pay that kind of alimony.  He's a truck driver and spends his days driving big rigs across the country.  He earns only $30,000 per year and if he paid the requested alimony, he could not survive."

At that point, I interrupted.  I told my adversary that I thought he was mistaken since as far as I knew, his client was a sales manager who made multiples of the amount he had stated.  The other lawyer looked at his file and said, "what case is this?"

When I told him the name, he looked at the judge and said, "sorry, I had the wrong file.  Then he picked up the right file and said this:

"Judge, there's no way my client could possibly pay that kind of alimony.  He's a sales manager and spends his days in an office selling paper goods.  He earns only $70,000 per year and if he paid the requested alimony, he could not survive."

The Democrats and many in the media are doing the same thing.  No matter who the President had nominated tonight, they would be out saying the same thing and opposing the nomination as the end of the world.  It's a sad thing that party politics triumphs over what is good for America and the American people.

Judge Kavanaugh is reputed to be a brilliant attorney and a brilliant judge.  From what I saw on TV tonight, Kavanaugh also seems to be a decent and a humble man.  I like him from the little we got to see.

Hopefully, there will be at least a few Democrats in the senate who will withstand the partisan pressure to oppose President Trump no matter the quality of Judge Kavanaugh.  Time will tell.

No comments: