Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

License please

I was speaking to a usually will-informed friend this morning and was surprised that he was unaware of the drivers license provision in the Arizona illegal alien law. The law expressly states that it is conclusive proof of legal residence to have a valid drivers license. In other words, if a policeman has reason to suspect that someone is an illegal, they need only produce their drivers license to end the matter. Indeed, the policeman cannot stop someone just based on ethnicity; this is also expressly stated in the law.

So the terrible police state intrusion into the lives of the people of Arizona is that they need to produce their drivers licenses if the police have cause to suspect that they are illegals. Oh the Humanity! In the last thirty days, I had to produce my license to open a bank account, to enter an office building in New York City, to cash a check, to charge something on my credit card and when I got a ticket from a policeman. I am sure that most people have a similar experience.

If the government and private companies can require a picture ID for all sort of mundane activities, why is it racial profiling for Arizona to require a drivers license be produced in the face of valid suspicion of illegality?

The truth is that the law is not racist. The truth is that President Obama and the Obamacrats are just using this law to try to stir up racial fears. The truth is that Obama is not the first post racial president as he claims. Rather he is the most racial president of my lifetime. I cannot recall any other president who intentionally and dishonestly stirred up racial tensions for his own political gain. Indeed, the last president I can think of who did that was Woodrow Wilson.

No comments: