Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2011

The wonders of internet advertising

Over the last week, the Obama campaign has been consistently advertising on my blog. Given my view of the president which is best expressed by the tag line "Obama has got to go!", I think it interesting that the Google computers that determine where to place ads have put the ones for Obama here. As I understand the process, Google places ads next to subject matter that discusses the same subjects as those covered by the ad. As a result of this process, I get a lot of ads about investing in oil and gas, selecting municipal bonds and a batch of political ads as well. Each time someone clicks on an ad, a charge is added to the account of the person placing the ad. In other words, one pays for ads based upon a small charge for the number of people who see it and a much larger charge for the number of people who click on it. It does not make much sense for Google to place the Obama ads here, since I doubt there are too many of his fans who read this blog.

No comments: