Search This Blog

Monday, January 22, 2018

Sometimes It's Hard To Watch

I have a friend who watches the Sunday morning "news" shows like Meet the Press or Fox News Sunday.  I don't.  Usually, these shows are just guests who spew talking points and panelists who say exactly what one would expect about those talking points.  After reading the news during the week, is there really any benefit to watching purported "newsmakers" rehash their views once again on Sunday?  I don't think so.  My friend tells me that he watches because he learns things from those shows.  I think that's because he doesn't pay close attention the rest of the time.

The current shutdown is a good example of what I am talking about.  It was discussed on each of the Sunday shows.  I know that without even watching them.  But here's my question:  how many people speaking on these shows said that there were points being made by both sides in the dispute?  My guess is that the answer is zero.  Everyone who spoke either blamed the Democrats (correctly) for the shutdown or else blamed the Republicans (incorrectly).  Then we got a rehash of talking points.

If I am wrong, let me know.  I don't expect to hear from anyone.

No comments: