Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Obama needs to understand who he is

Barack Obama is the president of the United States of America. He is not king. He is not God. He is just the president.

So, now you are wondering why I would actually write these words. It is because I made the mistake of reading what Obama said in his interview regarding gay marriage. Here is the key excerpt:

I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors, when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together; when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that 'don't ask, don't tell' is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married,"

The key words, of course, are those about the armed forces fighting on Obama's behalf. Really? I thought that the United States armed forces fought on OUR behalf. They fight for all Americans. The soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines give their lives to defend the country, not Obama. Indeed, the way that Obama describes it makes clear just how important Obama thinks he himself is. Well get this Mr. President. You are just the president. You are not the country. You are not the king. You are not the source of all authority. You are not the source of the rights of citizens. You are just a man who happens to be president.

For nearly four years, I have been writing about how Obama seems to think that if HE says something, then it is the same as if he did something. Once you realize that Obama thinks of himself as the king, the person on whose behalf the army fights, then you can see why Obama foolishly clings to the idea that his words carry special weight.

America needs a leader who understands that he is not God and not the king.

Obama has got to go.

No comments: