Search This Blog

Friday, May 22, 2015

Climate games

Did you see the other day that April was the 17th warmest ever?  That stat came from the government which also told us that the first four months of 2015 were the 20th warmest ever for that period.  But there's something wrong.

I just spent time trying to find a list of the warmest Aprils according to the government.  I still cannot find it, although it may be the fault of my research skills.  I can tell you that it is not an easy thing to find.  Without actually seeing the data, however, I suspect that if I got the list of the warmest Aprils, nearly all of them would be in the 21st century.  In other words, my guess is that April of 2015 was no warmer and was perhaps cooler than most recent Aprils, but that is not something that the government will easily disclose.

Then there is the issue of the first four months of the year.  At the end of the winter, we were told that the winter of 2014-2015 was one of the coldest on record in the USA.  Now we are told that the first four months, most of which came during the winter, were the 20th warmest on record.  Since April was, at most, slightly warmer than average, there is no way that these two facts can both be correct. 

How can we be at the point where even the government weather data is untrustworthy?

 


 

No comments: