Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Selling means Selling

I just got the eleventh call this week from people selling solar panels for my home.  Every call has been from a person with a very heavy Indian accent who begins by telling me that "This is not a sales call."  For me, that phrase is enough to know that it is indeed a sales call and that the intended product is solar panels for me to place on my roof.

Today, I decided to try an experiment.  When the guy started to talk, I said "Wait, is this a sales call about solar panels?"

John (he said that was his name) responded that "This is not a sales call."

I said, "OK, why are you calling?"

John told me that he was calling to offer me a free quotation for solar panels.  I asked him what was the point of the quotation if they were not selling anything.  There was a silence for about 15 seconds at that point.  Finally, John told me that they were offering me a free quotation.  Since this was just a repetition of a prior statement, I asked again what the point of the quotation was, if they were not selling anything.  John finally said that the quotation was so that I would know the cost of solar panels.

Then came the really hard question.  I asked John why I would want to know the cost of solar panels for the roof of my home.

I think I heard crickets chirping at that point.  Then John hung up.  I hope the call was recorded for training purposes.  More important, I hope they stop calling me.



No comments: