Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

GasFrac -- a short update about the NY decision

I was asked this afternoon if I thought that the decision by NY to ban hydraulic fracturing on gas wells would be helpful to GasFrac, a company about which I have written repeatedly. My answer is that the stupid decision by New York will help GasFrac, but not in the way that most people think. I doubt that GasFrac will be hired in the near future to complete any wells in New York, since there won't be any such wells drilled. Instead, the hysteria emanating from New York may lead drillers in other locales to try the liquid petroleum gas completion method pioneered by GasFrac as a way of avoiding any question about the purported problems with hydraulic fracturing. Having an hysterical response in a place like NY that has no drilling still puts the issue into the minds of all those in the field. So, GasFrac may benefit, but it won't be in NY.

No comments: