Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

George Bush's book arrives

There has been a spate of interviews with fromer president George Bush this week set to coincide with the arrival in stores of his book. The truth is that I have little interest in reading Bush's memoir. I find most presidential memoirs to be the equivalent of a five hour campaign commercial. Clinton's book was so uninteresting that I could not even bring myself to finish it. Nevertheless, the brief return of George Bush to the public arena makes me realize how different he is from Obama. I cannot imagine Bush being wishy washy about jihad on a trip to India. Nor can I see Bush trying to hide behind a communications failure were the American people to reject one of his initiatives. Bush clearly liked the American people and would never have chastised them for their honest beliefs or claimed that they were not thinking straight; he thought America an inherently decent and honorable country. Indeed, despite the endless repetition of the "Bush lied, people died" line during the Bush years, I also cannot imagine George Bush blatantly lying to the public the way Obama has done. It seems like a big deal when Obama actually tells the truth.

No comments: