Search This Blog

Monday, February 25, 2013

The Oscars -- I tried and failed

Last night, I tried to watch the Oscars; I really did.  Usually, I like Seth McFarlane.  Last night, though, Seth seemed out of his element.  He was nasty sometimes, but he really wasn't funny.  When an aging William Shatner appeared as Captain Kirk (assumedly from a nursing home of the future somewhere in the United Federation of Planets), it became clear just how low this Oscarcast was going to sink.  I held out just long enough to see Channing Tatum and Charlize Theron do their 1930s musical inspired dance routine.  While they couple seemed poorly matched since Charlize was about three inches taller than her dance partner, the most amazing thing was that the cameras were mostly focused on McFarlane who was singing.  What was the point of the dancing?  I gave up and turned the Oscars off.

The truth is that the Oscars and all the hoopla that surrounds them are just boring.  I do not care who Hollywood decides gets an award.  Maybe when there is a year where the nominees for best picture are all actually good movies, I will try again.  That should give me a long time off from the attempt.



 

 

No comments: