Search This Blog

Monday, June 17, 2019

As I Was Saying

The other day, a friend of mine berated me for writing about the head to head match polls from last March that showed Biden leading Trump.  "They're old polls," he told me.  No one but a poll junkie like me would be interested in them, or so he told me.  I responded that I wasn't writing about the polls themselves, but rather about the media frenzy covering them despite the fact that they were, indeed, old polls that mean nothing.  So this morning, I heard the CBS News World Roundup, the major morning CBS Radio News report while I was driving.  What was the top story?  If you said these same old polls, you would be correct.  That's right, the top story was that the Trump campaign had fired some people from its polling unit for leaking these polls.  That was a minor one sentence story, by CBS then went on for about a minute rehashing what the polls from last March supposedly show.  There was no news there, only narrative for CBS to explain to its audience that Trump is losing. 

So tell me, is this story about old polls more important than all the other news out there?

No comments: