Search This Blog

Friday, January 3, 2014

All this for only Three Quarters of a Brillion Dollars

When the Obamacare exchanges went "live" on October 1, the cost had been about 650 million dollars which made it the most expensive website in history by many multiples.  Since then enormous sums have been poured into fixing the so called "glitches" in the site, so the price is now probably around three quarters of a billion bucks or more.  Despite the huge cost, the site (according to a report today by AP) does not allow people to change their policies once purchased.  That means that parents who have a baby, folks who get married or divorced and the like are out of luck as far as the website is concerned. 

Over the years, I have added and removed one or another of my children to my insurance.  Many years ago, I added my wife.  Like any other individual, I had changes in my family that required the insurance to be modified.  In the past, it was a simple thing to do.  Under Obamacare, however, the rule of simplicity is "NOT ANYMORE!!!"

How could the people in Washington fail to include a mechanism for making changes due to life's events?  I understand how some complicated interaction between the records of Obamacare and some other federal agency might no work.  But forgetting about babies, marriages, divorces, etc?  What genius forgot that issue?  I would say that someone deserves to be fired for this, but the reality is that everyone connected with the website deserves to be fired.  There is no need to single out the idiot responsible for this oversight.

I am sure that Obama will just call it another glitch and ignore the problem.  Sadly, he is even giving incompetence a bad name.




 

No comments: