Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bye Bye Arlen

Well it has been called in Pennsylvania for Sestak. I am glad to see Specter go. It sure was time. I have been listening to election returns featuring Specter since he ran for Philadelphia District Attorney in 1965. In 1967 when I was still in school and too young to vote, I helped in Specter's campaign for mayor of Philadelphia when he ran against James Tate. After that, I moved out of Pennsylvania, but I kept watching as Specter ran and ran and ran. he also moved left and left and left. The truth, however, is that Specter lost not because of his political philosophy but rather because of his lack of principles. For years he was a loyal Republican and then suddenly when he realized that he could not win renomination he became a Democrat strictly for his own benefit. He did not even try to mask the change as being on a principled basis. No, he said it was just so he could get re-elected. People could understand his selfish motivation and it did not play well. His loss is a benefit for the commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the people of America.

No comments: