Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Did I miss the Talking Points?

After last night's smashing victories for Rick Santorum, I looked this morning for the articles and reports about it. First, I happened to hear CBS News cover it while I was out buying coffee. In a short radio report, CBS said that Santorum won all three contests and then went immediately to the impact on Romney. They played an insipid quote from Romney saying he expected to win anyway. Then CBS moved on to how the results were bad for Gingrich. They threw in a nasty comment from Jon Huntsman, the smarmy failed candidate, who basically said that Newt is crazy sometimes. That was it. Nothing about Santorum or what he had to say upon his victories.

That kind of bizarre slanted coverage from CBS did not surprise me; I honestly do not know why I still listen to the Completely Biased System. When I got home, I turned on my computer. Up came my home page which is Yahoo. In the list of Yahoo News items there were three reports regarding the GOP results. The first headline was about Mitt Romney's "bad day". Only if you opened the article did you find that Santorum had won; to Yahoo News, the headline was the Romney had lost. There was also an "analysis" piece entitled "Romney losses show conservative woes". That is upside down. Actually, Romney losses showed conservative gains. A majority of conservatives around the USA would likely prefer Santorum as president over Mitt Romney, and last night's results may make that more of a likelihood. Third, there was an article about how Ron Paul felt about Mitt Romney's poor showing.

The DNC must have issued talking points for the media. Emphasis must be placed on Romney's loss and Gingrich's loss, not on Santorum's win. After all, a story about how Santorum swept three states might encourage conservatives. The DNC wants conservatives to be disheartened. The DNC wants the media to talk about losses not victories. I guess I did not get a copy. It may not come as a surprise to my readers, but I am not on the distribution list of the DNC.

Look, I do not know if these victories by Santorum will prove to be fleeting or if they are the start of a much bigger trend. Only time will tell on that one. I do know, however, that last night's results may start a big move by conservatives towards Santorum. rick has shown that he can win, and he did so by crushing Romney in three states where Romney did well in 2008. Newt may become an afterthought and his supporters may move to the former Pennsylvania senator. If that happens, we may well see Santorum as the nominee in 2012.

On a personal note, I think I owe Rick Santorum an apology. Last fall, I suggested that Santorum should drop out of the race after seeing some polling results from his home state of Pennsylvania. I was clearly wrong, and Santorum's refusal to become demoralized or to give up shows the strength of his character. Sorry about that comment, Rick.

1 comment:

fastcarken said...

Voters got really tired of the negative bashing ads of Romney & Gingrich.
This is the result of the DISGUST!