Search This Blog

Monday, February 27, 2012

The Gray Lady sinks

I used to read the New York Times every day, but that stopped about ten years ago. Then yesterday, I found myself unexpectedly on the Acela train from Philadelphia to Stamford, a two hour ride. I bought a Sunday Times to fill up the time on the ride. Years ago, reading the Sunday Times took about two and a half hours and was extremely enjoyable. Yesterday it literally took 22 minutes and was a bore. There were sections, like Business, that had no news or even interesting opinions. There were other sections, like Style, that had nothing that remotely interested me. While I admit that I am not a youngster, I am still younger than the average age of the Times' readership; one would think that this alone would mean that the paper would be of interest to me. Even the "news" sections were sparse. There were none of the in depth pieces on stories that get little coverage elsewhere, the type of articles that used to be the very best of the Times. Instead, there was the obligatory articles slamming the GOP and the others extolling Obama, but even these seemed more like propaganda than news. In short, the Sunday Times sucked. It is no wonder that circulation is down by so much. The Gray Lady is sinking still.

No comments: