Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Elections -- Some bizarre theories

Midterm elections are five days away, and we are entering the silly season of predictions. Yesterday, I saw an article explaining that the Democrats would win the House and Senate with minimal losses because the polls undercount minorities like African Americans and Hispanics due to racism. In other words, a true progressive koolade drinker is now predicting victory for his forces on the basis of ideological engendered blindness. boy will this guy be surprised on Tuesday night. I also have seen explanations about how Christine O'Donnell will cause the Democrats to sweep Pennsylvania even though the polls of that state show a widening Republican lead over the last week. The professional prognosticators are setting the Republican pickups in the House at anywhere between 45 and 62, and each has a detailed analysis as to how the result was reached. Of course, none of them really knows. In the spirit of the season, I am going to give my own predictions.

I predict that the GOP will gain a net of 70 or more seats in the House.
I predict that the GOP will gain a net of 11 seats in the Senate.
I predict that the GOP will have a total of 32 governors after the election.
I predict that the GOP will pick up between 500 and 600 seats in state legislative bodies with the resulting pick up of at least 15 separate houses in those state legislatures.
I predict that the left will ascribe the losses to racism against Obama, xenophobia against Latinos, homophobia, and greed by the wealthy. I also predict that they will be completely wrong but that their inability to understand what happened will lead to further decline for the Democrat brand.
I predict that President Obama will talk a great deal about the need for compromise but that he will not compromise at all with Republicans on the core of his programs.
I predict that the Democrats will use the election results as an excuse to avoid voting on the tax rates during the lame duck session so that millions of middle class folks will get hit by the Alternative Minimum Tax for 2010 and the country will go into 2011 with higher tax rates for everyone.
Finally, I predict that at least some of my predictions will be wrong.

No comments: