Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

But they still are going home

There are now 47 Democrats in the House who have told their leadership that they want to keep the current tax rates for capital gains and dividends. thos rates are set to rise from a maximum of 15% ot a maximum of 39.6% as of January 1 of 2011. Republicans have been campaigning to stop the tax rise on these rates. that means that a majority of the House wants to keep these rates unchanged. and that is not surprising since these rates have a great deal to do with the level of investment in the country which is directly tied to job growth.

So what is the response of Pelosi and the Democrats in the House? They have decided to go home without a vote. If they cannot win for their position, they simply decide to prevent a vote and hope that after the election, they can use promises of a judge's seat or an ambassadorship to convince Democrats who lost to vote to keep the tax rise. they know that many of these Democrats will value their own positions more than the good of the country.

I want to contrast this selfish view of the Democrats with a few lines from a man who lived 105 years ago. Sullivan Ballou was an officer in the Union Army who wrote his wife just before the Battle of bull Run, the first great battle of the Civil War. Here, in part, is what he said:

"The indications are very strong that we will move in a few days - perhaps tomorrow. Lest I should not be able to write you again, I feel impelled to write a few lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more.

Our movement may be one of a few days duration and full of pleasure - or it may be one of sever conflict and death to me. Not my will, but thine, O God, be done. If it is necessary that I should fall on the battlefield for my country, I am ready. I have no misgivings about, or lack of confidence in, the cause in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter. I know how strongly American Civilization now leans upon the triumph of the government, and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the Revolution. And I am willing - perfectly willing - to lay down all my joys in this life to help maintain this government, and to pay that debt."

Here was a man who was prepared to give everything for the success of his country. What a contrast to the Democrats who will not even give their time for a few days to pass a tax bill that would greatly help the economy and the millions of unemployed. Who are these people that they are so cavalier with regard to the sufferings of their fellow countrymen and who, at the same time, have the temerity to call themselves public servants. It is amazing that they can use those words without choking.

No comments: