Search This Blog

Friday, October 3, 2014

Too Bad It's Hard To Believe

September's jobs report was released today.  According to the federal government, the unemployment rate broke through 6% to 5.9%.  That would be good news if I believed it.  Last February, I predicted that the jobs report for September would come in at 5.9%.  It seemed inevitable.  After all, if one wanted to have something for the supporters of president Obama to boast about in the final days before the election, what could be better than finally breaking below 6% unemployment?  Since that time, the trajectory has moved steadily towards a 5.9% figure whether the number of jobs created was growing, shrinking or holding steady.

I know that I sound to some like a conspiracy theorist when I suggest that the unemployment figures are rigged.  I wish that were true.  I want to believe the government.  Nevertheless, reporters/columnists like John Crudele who writes in the New York Post have been reporting for a long time that there is major investigation into the rigging of the unemployment data by the feds.  We know that in 2012, right before the presidential election, there was a similar breakthrough in the figures and that it was later revealed that workers in the Philadelphia and New York offices that gather the underlying data allegedly rigged the results.




 

No comments: