Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Reality Intrudes Again

This morning I went to vote in the Connecticut primary elections. For the first time ever, there are close primaries in both parties for multiple positions. We have been deluged with phone calls, mailings and even visits from supporters of the various candidates. I was curious to see how heavy the voting was at my local polling place.

I vote in the first district in Greenwich; in a usual election there are somewhere between 1100 and 1400 votes cast here. When I go to the poll, there were separate lines for Republicans and Democrats. There was not a single Democrat voting. On the Republican side the turnout was much higher. It was me. I was the only voter in the entire polling place (which was staffed with about 8 people.) Because of the use of machine read ballots, the voting process is relatively quick. During the three or four minutes that I was at the polling place, another voter did come in. I did not see whether she was a Democrat or Republican.

The point is this. I am extremely interested in who will be Governor, Senator or Congressman. Apparently, not that many other people are. The reality of apathy, escecially in a midterm election primary on a hot August day, cannot be forgotten. In the fight for the future of the USA, not only must one beat the Democrat Progressive agenda, but also the apathy of so many voters.

No comments: