Search This Blog

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Was He Here?

I am in Cork in Ireland today.  Not surprisingly, my wife and I were out shopping for sweaters and other woolen goods (which by the way are incredible in this country.)  During our travels, I spoke to a fair number of folks while my wife browsed the merchandise (I get bored with shopping pretty quickly.)  I asked each one what they thought of president Obama's recent trip to Ireland.  The response was uniform:  each one of these ordinary Irish folks was surprised to learn that Obama had been in Ireland.

There really is not reason why people in Cork should have paid much attention to the visit of a foreign head of state in Dublin which is far north of here.  Nevertheless, if one were to read the American media, one would get the impression that every single Irishman was thrilled with the Obama visit.  The truth is something quite different.

I will be in Dublin tomorrow.  If I have time, I will ask the same questions there.  It will be interesting to see if there is any difference.


1 comment:

fastcarken said...

A PINT of brew makes more sense than paying attention to OBAMA