Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Timing Is Everything

In a rather unbelievable coincidence, I received a letter in the mail on Christmas Eve informing me that my health insurance was being cancelled.  Since I am self employed, I have gotten my insurance through a professional association.  The letter I received said that all of the plans previously issued were being cancelled so as to comply with the requirements of Obamacare.  The letter also made clear that a large part of the group (including me) would not be eligible for the new plan that would be offered.  According to the letter, I have to get insurance now on the individual exchange.

I have not had time to fully check out the new insurance on the Connecticut exchange.  I did find however that the cost of the my insurance will be about 35% higher than what I have been paying, the co-pays are higher, the deductible is thousands of dollars higher, and roughly half the doctors that I use are no longer available to me under the plan.  One has to wonder what the point of this switch is.  After all, my old plan provided all the Obamacare requirements; it was a really good plan.  Why should I now be forced to pay 35% more only to get less?

Oh well, I guess it is Obama's way of wishing me a merry Christmas.  No, wait, it's Obama, so I should have said a happy holiday.





No comments: