Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2016

The White House Correspondents' Dinner - 2

Yesterday, I wrote a few jokes that I sarcastically said came from the White House Correspondents' Dinner.  They were not the best stuff I ever wrote, but then again, I just dashed them off for a blog post.  Last night, I decided to watch a bit of the actual dinner to see how my material compared to the real thing.  Unfortunately, I tuned in just in time to see Larry Wilmore do his bit.  It was an endless draggy monologue.  And it wasn't funny.  It got me to wondering how they came to choose this guy for this slot.  He was the principal speaker at a supposedly comedy roast style dinner, but he was more pot roast than comedy roast.  (In other words, he was only funny if you had first smoked pot, and even then, finding him funny was unlikely.)  To be fair, I have never seen his show on Comedy Central, so I don't know if this was standard Wilmore or if he had an off-night.  Actually, it's not right to call it an off-night.  An off-night for Wilmore might be getting mugged and beaten up.  This was a lot worse.  Here he was proving to millions of possible new viewers for his show just how unfunny he really is.

 

No comments: